Criminal Justice Omnibus Bill – contact your State Legislators NOW
The Ominibus Criminal Justice Bill is in process after many long years of work. It’s time to contact our legislators to demand that they lobby the leadership and Conference-Committee to ensure it comes to the floor with the following provisions:
- an end to mandatory minimums and the return of sentencing to the impartial judges instead of the partisan prosecutors,
- an end to the torture of long term solitary confinement often referred to as segregation,
- an end to the practice of sending young children to prison by raising the ages of youth (to 12) and adult (to 19),
- raising the felony theft threshold to $1500,
- ending the many provisions that result in the criminalization of poverty,
- allowing leniency in sentencing for the primary caretakers of young children, and finally
- supporting the Justice Reinvestment Fund which would reallocate money saved from reduced incarceration to the communities most severely impacted by mass incarceration.
Progressive Mass has done extensive work on supporting changes in this arena. See the letter they mailed to committee members here.
Feel free to note your support for this and send it on to your legislators or amend the letter.
Find your legislator here. This is also a good time to contact the
Senate President: Harriette.Chandler@masenate.gov
Speaker Deleo: Robert.DeLeo@mahouse.gov